- This event has passed.
Vt Environmental Summit
November 9, 2013 @ 8:30 am - 5:00 pm
Safe & Green Campaign is co-sponsoring the annual Summit organized by VPIRG and Toxic Action. Register below.
Saturday, November 9th, 2013 ~ A Day of Empowering the Grassroots
8:30 – 9:30 am Registration, coffee, breakfast, post to “power hour” idea/invitation board
9:30 – 10:15 am Welcome, goals for the day, logistics, introductions
10:15 – 11:00 am Keynote Address:
|Gary Hirshberg, Chairman, Stonyfield Farm
Gary Hirshberg is Chairman of Stonyfield Farm, the world’s leading organic yogurt producer, and Managing Director of Stonyfield Europe. He is also the Chairman and Founding Partner of “Just Label It, We Have the Right to Know,” the national campaign to label GE foods. He is co-author of Label It Now – What You Need to Know About Genetically Engineered Foods. Gary has received 12 honorary doctorates and numerous awards for corporate and environmental leadership including a 2012 Lifetime Achievement Award by the US EPA.
11:15 am – 12:45 pm Session 1: Issue Workshops: (click here for a more detailed descripton of these workshops)
Join lead organizers and advocates of the top campaigns for 2014 to learn the ways in which we can solve key environmental problems and spring into action. Following a quick review of campaign goals, you’ll participate in a round table discussion focused on the strategies and tactics you can pursue to help win on critical campaigns. Sessions will include:
- GMO labeling: Vermont could be the 1st place you see GMOs labeled… if we beat Monsanto!
- Energy: Clean up Vermont Yankee, stop the Fracked Gas Pipeline, & support a clean energy future
- Toxics: Products proven safe before ending up on store shelves–how we’ll do it & how you can help.
- Waste: Vermont sends ZERO WASTE to landfills: composting, recycling & more ways to get there.
12:45 – 2:00 pm Lunch (provided)
2:00 – 3:30 pm Session 2: Skills Workshops: (click here for a more detailed descripton of these workshops)
Equip yourself to make a big impact by honing your skills in:
- Group Building: In your community or on your campus, we’ll give you tips to build and sustain your group.
- Lobbying: Make the best case to your legislators by hearing directly from one!
- Media Outreach: Journalists and experienced media mavens will share strategies on how to get your story in the news.
- Messaging: What you say and how you say it matters. Craft your campaign message and learn how to get it out there.
- Student Organizing for Change:
- And more!
3:30 – 4:00 pm Grassroots Activist Award Presentation – Ice cream, reception, & evals
4:00 – 5:00 pm Power Hour: (Click to learn more about this opportunity to lead a session of your own)!
Connect & network with participants on other creative environmental campaigns and solutions