Update: VtDigger did not report on VT Yankee in 2020. VtDigger – VT Yankee Posts
Please write a letter to the editor, and write to your elected officials and regulators — scroll down for their contact info.
Keep informed. If it seems like there are too many issues to follow, pick one and focus on it. Media coverage about decommissioning is on our Decommissioning Resources page.
Attend NDCAP, the citizens’ panel meeting on VT Yankee, virtually during the pandemic. State agency heads, Entergy staff and citizens’ representatives are doing the work and need to hear from you. Meetings always include a public comment period. You can also send written comments or ask questions by emailing PSD.NDCAP@vermont.gov Dates, agendas and presentations are posted on the NDCAP website here.
LEGISLATION PROPOSED IN MASSACHUSETTS
Follow important legislation on renewables, efficiency and pipelines on the Climate Action Now website (western MA non-profit).
Feeling outraged or think they’ve missed something you’ve got to say? Keep regulators and elected officials vigilant! Please write or email with your comments to:
Governor Phil Scott / 109 State Street, Pavilion / Montpelier, VT 05609 / Phone: 802 828-3333
June Tierney, Commissioner / VT Public Service Dept. / 112 State Street Third Floor, Montpelier, VT 05620-2601 /Phone: 802 828-4071
TJ Donovan, Attorney General / 109 State Street, Montpelier VT 05609-1001 / Phone: 802 828-3171
Neil Sheehan, NRC Region 1 Public Affairs / OPA1.Resource@nrc.gov Phone 610 337-5331
Vermont Congressional Delegation: email their their website Contact forms
Join the Safe and Green Campaign
- Join Safe and Green Campaign’s email list serve to receive notices of up-coming actions, meetings, and public hearings. We only send out information related to the Safe & Green Campaign’s mission. If you want to participate, or if you want more information, contact email@example.com
Write Letters to the Editor
- We need dozens of letters published in newspapers every month, all over the region. The pro-nuclear letters have been flooding in. Here are examples of pro-Yankee letters.
- Still need inspiration? Here are recent letters from our member as examples.
- Commit to writing one letter. Most newspapers restrict letters to the editor to 250 or 300 words.
- Write to your local paper or to one of the statewide papers:
- Follow-up with a phone call the same day to the Editor of the paper.
- Send a copy of your letters to the legislators from the area.
- If you want to write an opinion piece longer than 300 words, contact the editor of the newspaper for their guidelines.
- If you follow a blog regularly, be sure to comment on pro-nuclear arguments and post your own opinions.
Send Letters to Your Electric Company
- Massachusetts and New Hampshire utilities may still have contracts to purchase power from Vermont Yankee.
- MASSACHUSETTS & NH ACTIVISTS: One of the most powerful things we can do is demand that our electric utility companies stop purchasing power from Entergy and instead buy electricity from local, renewable electricity suppliers. When you send in your next payment, include a letter requesting they not buy power from Entergy Nuclear.
- None of the Vermont utility companies have a contract to purchase power from Vermont Yankee after March 21, 2012.
- Check your utility bill or utility company’s website for renewable options.
More Things You Can Do
Support Local, Renewable Electricity Projects
- Several renewable energy projects are being proposed in southern VT, western MA and eastern NH.
- Contact your local regulators and voice your support for these projects.
- Attend planning and regulatory meetings/hearings regarding these proposals. Show your support and suggest solutions for making these projects better.
- Supporting local, efficiency and renewable projects is JUST AS IMPORTANT as closing Vermont Yankee.
- Check out our page on Safe & Green Alternatives for specifics in your region.
Support Legislative and Gubernatorial Candidates
- While the Safe & Green Campaign cannot endorse candidates, you can!
- Support candidates that support decommissioning Vermont Yankee with the public, the public’s pocketbook, and environment. Support those who are aggressively pursuing conservation, efficiency and renewable solutions and local energy planning.
- Contact their campaigns and get involved.
Educate Yourself and Testify
- Follow your state’s energy planning process and testify. For example, Vermont held public hearings on their draft energy plan www.vtenergyplan.vermont.gov/
- Attend public hearings on nuclear issues, such as emergency planning and evacuation planning, and testify on how it will affect you and alternatives to their plans and regulations.
- Join Safe and Green Campaign’s list serve and we will send you notices of public hearings. firstname.lastname@example.org
Donate to the Safe & Green Campaign
Mail a check today to: Safe and Green Campaign, PO Box 1864, Brattleboro, VT 05302.
Your donations enable us to reach out to the community and provide logistical support for our actions. Thank you!