SINGLE UNIT DECOMMISSIONED REACTORS IN THE US
research by Safe & Green Campaign
From 1962 to 1998, all single unit reactors in the US went into DECON – not SAFSTOR.
No single units closed between 1998 and 2012.
The only single unit reactors to go into SAFSTOR to date are Kewaunee and Vermont Yankee, which closed in 2013 and 2104.
- 8 single-reactor sites went to DECON, not SAFSTOR, and decommissioning is now complete: Connecticut Yankee, Maine Yankee, Yankee Rowe, Big Rock, Shoreham, Shippingport, Saxton, Rancho Seco.
- 3 sites are still in DECON (Zion, Humbolt Bay, LaCrosse).
- San Onofre has 3 units, all are now closed (as of 2014). It is in SAFSTOR.
- Before now, all the reactors currently in SAFSTOR shared the site with operating reactors or other generating plants. On multi-unit sites it makes economic and environmental sense to decommission multi-units all at once, when they are all closed.
Single unit fully decommissioned site are used either
- natural parks / conservation areas
- for other energy production
- undecided to date, or undeveloped
SINGLE UNIT LIST
Big Rock Point, MI Operated 1962-97. DECON 1993-2003. 8 dry casks ISFSI (bought by Entergy). 180 acre state park. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Rock_Point_Nuclear_Power_Plant
Conn. Yankee Operated 1966-1996. DECON 1998-2007. 525 acres left w/5 acre ISFSI, 43 casks http://www.connyankee.com/index.html
Maine Yankee 1973-1996 on 740 acres. DECON complete 2005. Now 180 acres w/11 acre ISFSI, 64 casks. 200 acres donated to Chewonki for conservation as settlement with FERC; 430 acres sold to a developer. http://www.maineyankee.com/
Rancho Seco, CA 1975-1989. DECON complete 2009. 11 acre ISFSI. 2,100 acres. 160 acre nature preserve. Solar & gas fired power plant went on-line 2006, released for unrestricted use 2009. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rancho_Seco_Nuclear_Generating_Station
Yankee Rowe, MA 1961- 1992. DECON complete 2007. 2 acre ISFSI, 16 dry casks on pad. 2,000 acres total unrestricted use. http://www.yankeerowe.com/ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yankee_Rowe_Nuclear_Power_Station
Shippingport, PA 1957-1982. DECON complete 1982. Now site of Beaver Valley nuclear reactor (1,000 acres). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shippingport_Atomic_Power_Station
Shoreham, NY Completed 1984 but never operated (Gov’r would not approve evacuation plan). 499 acres. Now site of natural gas plant 100 MW, & 2 wind turbines. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoreham_Nuclear_Power_Plant
Trojan, OR 1976-1993; DECON 2003-2008. 635 acres. 34 dry casks. Don’t know what is there now. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trojan_Nuclear_Power_Plant
Zion 1973-1998; DECON began 2013. 2 units, 250 acres. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zion_Nuclear_Power_Station
NRC Generic Information on Nuclear Reactors (scroll down to Table)
NRC Information Digest (NUREG-1350, Vol 26 App C): US Commercial Nuclear Power Reactors Formerly Licensed to Operated (scroll down to Table)
World Nuclear Assoc. (industry trade group). Updated February 2015 (scroll down to US)