The Safe & Green Campaign is an urgent, grassroots, people-powered effort to close Entergy Nuclear’s Vermont Yankee reactor.
Vermont Yankee should be replaced through conservation, efficiency and renewable solutions, moving us towards a truly “Safe and Green” energy future.
The campaign focuses on public education, outreach, and organizing among people in the 50 towns in VT, MA, and NH within 20 miles of the reactor. We are the people most in harm’s way. Our lives, property, and natural environment are most at risk. We have credibility and a unique responsibility to LET OUR VOICES BE HEARD by our neighbors throughout the region, the media, and our elected officials. Click here to see Map of “In the Shadow of the Reactor.”
Our goal is to encourage town residents and elected officials to speak out publicly
- AGAINST Entergy’s 20-year license extension
- FOR safe and green energy alternatives which create local jobs, and
- FOR the right of the people, especially those most affected in the region, to determine their own energy future.
The campaign was created in 2007 by concerned citizens in the tri-state area and sponsored by representatives of three organizations—Citizens Awareness Network (CAN), New England Coalition on Nuclear Pollution (NEC), and Nuclear Free Vermont (NFV). A steering committee meets regularly, and meetings are open to all.
In September 2011, Safe and Green became a founding member of the SAGE Alliance, a coalition of regional groups and individuals working to close Vermont Yankee on March 22, 2012 through grassroots organizing, education, and nonviolent direct action. www.sagealliance.net/
HOW CAN I GET INVOLVED?
TODAY we need people to join the Safe & Green Campaign to
- Take the Pledge and act on it! Click here to pledge to take action to close the Vermont Yankee nuclear reactor.
- Host house parties of folks who may be interested in forming Affinity Groups and get trained in nonviolent direct action. Contact Bob Bady firstname.lastname@example.org
- Make banners, contribute artwork, write letters, and contact elected officials
- Donate funds to support Safe and Green’s actions. Mail a check today to: Safe and Green Campaign, PO Box 6052, Brattleboro, VT 05302. (If you wish your donation to be tax deductible, please make your check out to our fiscal sponsor, NEGEF, and write Safe & Green Campaign in the memo line. You can read more about NEGEF here http://grassrootsfund.org/
If you want to participate, or if you want more information, please contact:
- email@example.com or
- Bob Bady firstname.lastname@example.org (Vermont)
- Randy Kehler, email@example.com (Massachusetts)